Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Hounds-tooth obsession!

My friends I am in love with hounds-tooth print! Why I do not know but I just adore it in all of its old wonder :)
Along with loving hounds-tooth fabric I love a good fabric sale! I had gone to Hobby Lobby seeking a finale' for my Mom who is saving an antique lampshade when I stumbled upon a box of fabric pieces leftover for sale. In this box of wonder I found 1 and 3/4 yard of hounds-tooth upholstery fabric. And I thought clutch yes please!
just bought these! love them :) black patent w houndstooth print sperrys! This is where the obsession started I bought these a few months ago and I was hooked! <3


outside fabric for clutch (I would use a thicker fabric for sturdiness)
inside fabric: think either cotton or satiny- I used an old satiny shirt from the thrift store a steal at .29 cents!
Button of choice (I used a large chunky button found as a single button from Joann's)
snaps: (I used basic snaps with a snap machine but you could use a magnet or larger snap)
thread to match fabric

 Step 1: I began by deciding the shape of my clutch. I laid the hounds-tooth fabric out and trimmed to the size I needed. Make sure to cut off any loose ends to ensure nothing is sticking out on the finished project.
 Step 2: I took the old stain ladies shirt and cut the back out along the seam of the arms and neck of the shirt.

Step 3: I began to pin the fabric together so that the satin would be on the inside and edged with the hounds-tooth fabric.
Step 4: Once the fabric was pinned I began to stitch around the edges leaving .5 inch for me trim before folding the edges over.
Step 5: Once the red interior fabric was completely attached I trimmed the excess and folded the right and left sides to create a large rectangular envelope shape. I had 1 inch sides.

Step 6: To finish the clutch I used a "random zig-zag" stitch shown here random zig-zag stitch so that it would mimic the hounds-tooth print.I sewed the left and right side about 4-5 inches up each side with a 1 in trim on each side. I left the top open so that I could attach the snaps and button.

Step 7: I used a plastic snap attachment to attach the snaps to the top (flap) and bottom (base) of the clutch.
Step 8: After attaching both snaps I folded the flap about 2 inches again looking like a straight flap envelope and  stitched the trim edge around the flap.
Step 9: Adding the button: for this piece it was purely decoration but could be done as the actual closure on the clutch.

Here's the finished project!

Another success! There are a few things I would change on the next one like using a magnetic clasp and folding the trim more closely so that no edge shows when opening the inside.
But very happy and ready to try it out this weekend! :)

Children's crafts

Sometimes when I come up with a new craft idea I think man I wish I had a little one to do this for...But that is why my friends and family have kids so I can dote on them with my new projects:) One of my bestie's little one turned two this winter and immediately I thought what do little girl tots love to do?  PLAY DRESS UP! So the idea for a dress up box was born!
For the project I don't have any before pictures but I will do my best to explain what I used and the process in which I completed the box!


-1 large wooden box- I found one at Hobby Lobby for a 1/4 of the original price
-sand paper
- spray paint (I used Krylon brushed metallic) I have to say I was not happy with the color as it turned out it was not "caramel latte" as seen here it came out mostly silver and was very spotty I used a rubber glove to mix the color.
-felt (color of choice, I used Hot pink)
-pre -painted wooden shapes-I used the following:
*princess crown
*treasure chest
*the letter A

-clothing, and accessories for dress up.
This was the best part! Party City, Michael's crafts, Target dollar section, and Hobby Lobby made this so easy! Kids can entertain themselves for hours with the littlest things so have fun with this!

Step 1: Sand wooden box/chest and paint
I laid newspaper in the garage and left the door half way up (this was a very windy February day) I would recommend full ventilation. I sanded the box so that it was smooth-you don't want the child getting a splinter etc.
After sanding and wiping off excess dust it is time to paint!

Step 2: Painting the box was the hardest part as I stated the paint was not at all what I expected it was blotchy and I had to use a rubber glove to get a smoother color and more metallic finish. I did probably about 4 coats to get the box completely covered and blended well.

Step 3: Let the box dry. After 2-3 hours of drying time I measure the inside of the box and lid in order to cut the felt to add to the inside. I used Elmer's wood glue and glued each side of the box and lid separately. After the felt is added I allowed it to dry before adding the wooden decals to the outside.

Step 4: I added the wooden decals also using Elmer's wood glue. I placed them on 2 sides and the lid.

Step 5: add the costume fun and tie with a bow :)

The finished project:

It was a hit :) Craft success!