Wednesday, April 4, 2012

DIY Dog bed cover on a budget

Ok sometimes we need to treat out fur babies too... I finally got around to making my pooch a new bed cover. It is amazing what you will find at thrift stores. A few of my favorites are local to the area, (Valley Thrift) and national such as (Salvation Army). There is something to be said about a good day of thrifting. I always look in a few specific areas, one is books there is a never ending supply of good reading in thrift stores and I have found several new releases for less than a $1! Which if you are a reader this is a steal! As well baby blankets, bedding and other tapestries, and the glass/container isle
So for this project I used the following items:
1. Thrifted white sweatshirt material baby blanket $1
2. pink light weight sweatshirt material found in all places Walmart reduced isle! 99 cents a yard!
3. one zipper I used a 26 in. which is what might be used for a sleeping bag. $3.74
4. Pins

Ok So I started with the shape of the bed I wanted to cover and when I found the white blanket I realized it was close to perfect fit. Since my material had white sparkly polka dots it was perfect to use as a trim around the bed and also helped hide the zipper!

So I lined up my design fabric with the blanket edge leaving enough to use edge of blanket as a trim, I pinned then sewed three sides leaving the third side open for my zipper.
This is the completed edge. It is not perfect but I love the way the trim turned out.
Once all three sides were sewn I set out to add my zipper. This was my first time working with a zipper and its not as bad as I expected. I sewed one side with zipper intact then sewed the other side zipping it up as I went.
The finished product was a perfect fit for the bed and for my budget! Total spent $6.74 and my Shumby girl approves!


No comments: